Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Thanksgiving Day Turkey Tips
1. When it comes to thawing your turkey, plan ahead! We recommend thawing it in the refrigerator so that no harmful bacteria can grow. With your turkey in the fridge, it will take about 5 hours per pound for a turkey to fully defrost - so a 20 lb. turkey will take 4 days.
2. DON'T stuff your turkey. Not only will your turkey cook a whole lot faster if it's not packed full of stuffing, it will also be safer to consume. When you put stuffing in a moist environment (such as inside your turkey) you potentially put yourself at risk to eating harmful bacteria. Instead of stuffing, put herbs and onion, carrots or celery inside of your turkey for flavor without the side of bacteria.
3. Once the turkey is in the oven, try not to open the door. Every time you open the oven door, the heat drops considerably which in turn increases the cook time and can result in a dry bird.
4. Your turkey is done and ready to be removed from the oven when the thickest spot between the leg and the breast reaches 165 degrees. If you decided to stuff your bird, the stuffing should also read 165 degrees.
5. Once your bird is done, tent it loosely with foil and let it rest 15-20 minutes before carving. This allows your turkey to reabsorb the juices and remain moist.
6. When you go to carve your turkey, use the sharpest knife possible. Take the legs and wings off first and you'll have more room to maneuver when you get to the breast.
While these Thanksgiving Day Turkey Tips might not help you with picky eaters or irritable family members, the delicious taste of the bird might. If you have any of your own tips for Thanksgiving, or would like to ask a question about our current Ford Early Bird Lease Offer, don't hesitate to contact us or stop by our dealership!
We're located at 1510 E. Pierson Road, Flushing, MI 48433. Feel free to give us a call at (810) 659-5688 with any questions you may have. Family-owned and operated, Delehanty Ford has been serving the Greater Genesee County area for over 65 years with customer satisfaction as our top priority. Our sales and service departments are dedicated to providing the best experience for every customer.